Friday 18 May 2012

THE RELIGIOUS PEST

The other day, I had the misfortune of opening my door to a Jehovah's Witness. He was a polite and smartly dressed, middle-aged man. His opening banter was predictable, much as I expected from a fixated zealot who, as is so typical, is attracted to extremism in one form or another. But then, just as I was preparing to repel him from the doorstep, he caught me off-guard with something he said.
  'I used to be an atheist,' he said. 'I found the idea of God, in fact the notion of any divine Creator, risible and absurd. It contradicted common sense and the shallow creeds propagated by organised religion seemed contemptible to me. Peddlers of faith in holy buildings were, I considered, at best naive, often ignorant hypocrites.'
  Despite myself, I found myself paying attention to his words. In fact, I agreed with everything he'd just said. Although I knew I would regret showing any interest in the patter of a representative of such a notoriously thick-skinned, blinkered religious faction.
  'I was raised in a rational, intellectual environment,' he continued, 'where science and scientific enquiry was valued most highly. My parents were broad-minded , yet slightly cynical people. They were fair-minded enough not to be completely dismissive of religions or, specifically, Christianity, while they did nothing to hide from me their opinion that most 'faiths' were merely mythic-based placebos for the weak and vulnerable...'
  I thought: they sound like my kind of people. Then came his hook. I'd been expecting it but he still caught me by surprise as he said, 'Right up until last year, I was a confirmed atheist as I said. But I had an amazing, supernatural experience in my new home that radically altered my viewpoint. I had just moved in to a two-bedroom, two-storey house with my wife. We were unpacking boxes and arranging furniture all over the place. My wife was replacing all the curtains with new ones we'd bought and she asked me to store a box with the old ones upstairs in the attic, which I did. When I climbed back down the stepladder and stood on the landing below the hatch in the ceiling, I was completely transformed and felt inspired with an overwhelming passion for Jesus Christ, Our Lord. Since that day, I've never looked back or lost my faith. If anything it has become stronger with every passing day. It's such an intense feeling, really it's the reason I am here talking to you today.'
  'I see,' I said. 'So you went up into your attic an atheist and came down a fervent Christian?'
  He nodded enthusiastically. His eyes suggested to me, for the first time, his underlying insanity as he asked, 'What do you think about that?'
  'It's hard to say...' I paused, then added, 'But that's what I call a loft conversion!'
  He stood looking dumbfounded as I closed the door on him. Back inside the house, I was thinking to myself about his oddly compelling story. I wondered what might happen if he ever went into a changing-room.
                                                                               *
POSTSCRIPT: Any atheists interested in forming a group and joining me in making unsolicited visits to Jehovah's Witnesses in their own homes are welcome to contact me via Narolc's World.
 

4 comments:

  1. The Jehovah's Witnesses usually travel in pairs when on god's business, carrying their literature which proclaims the imminent end of the world as we know it and the return of JC to rule over Paradise on Earth. But what kind of paradise would it be to spend the rest of eternity trying to avoid people like these who apparently are the only ones who would be saved from the apocalpse. I think I prefer the Other Place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jehovah's Witnesses proselytizing is a scam.
    Here goes on JW:
    A) They are at your door to recruit you for their watchtower society corporation,they will say that *we are just here to share a message from the Bible*... this is deception right off.

    B) Their *message* creed is a false Gospel that Jesus had his second coming in 1914.The problem with this is it's not just a cute fairy tale,Jesus warned of the false prophets who would claim *..look he is here in the wilderness,or see here he is at the temple*.
    C) Their anti-blood transfusion ban against *whole blood* has killed thousands.
    D) once they recrui
    t you they will *love bomb* you in cult fashion to also recruit your family & friends or cut them off.
    ----
    My family was spiritually and financially swindled by the Watchtower society,3rd generation Jehovah's Witness Danny Haszard
    *Tell the truth don't be afraid*
    FMI
    http://www.dannyhaszard.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I climbed back down the stepladder and stood on the landing below the hatch in the ceiling, I was completely transformed and felt inspired with an overwhelming passion for Jesus Christ, Our Lord

    He may have said this....if you heard it, then I guess he did. But that is a very unusual statement for a JW to make. They are not 'instant conversion' people. Sounds much more like a born-again evangelical to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, guys. Remember, this is a work of fiction!

    ReplyDelete